One in five children will be affected by some form of abuse. Domestic abuse can have a devastating impact on children and young people, affecting their health, well being and development. We recognise the importance of intervening early to prevent the cycle of abuse for children and young people affected by domestic abuse.
If you’re worried about a child or are a young person worried about yourself you’ve come to the right place. Whether you’re experiencing abuse in your relationship or being exposed to domestic abuse at home. We have a dedicated Children’s Services Team who can help.
Our Children’s Services include:
- Therapeutic Direct Work for children and young people (aged 5+ assessed on an individual basis, children must have some memory of the abuse and be able to articulate). Twelve weekly, one hour sessions are conducted. These are tailored based on individual risk and need. Work includes understanding the impact of domestic abuse, relationships work, loss and separation, feelings work and safety planning
- The PICADA group (Positive Intervention for Children Affected by Domestic Abuse) delivered in conjunction with other agencies Family Friends and other multi-agency services. A group work programme for mother and child.
- Schools Prevention Project for Children and Young People offers support through group activities, awareness workshops and general group work. This is for over 8’s and can be conducted in the classroom or as a small group dependent on need, and is adaptable dependent on level of understanding
- Healthy Relationships – We deliver fun and interactive workshops in schools and community centres. Enabling children and young people to understand what constitutes a healthy and safe relationship. We use the ‘Expect Respect’ toolkit as well as AQA accredited packages.
- Our Day Programme (Young Person’s Freedom Program) supports teenage girls to understand their safety needs and break free from the cycle of abuse.
- A timetable of activities for safe-house and resettlement children includes: play, baby clinics, support groups, sports, after school clubs, healthy living sessions, Cook and Eat and a homework club.
We know it’s daunting, but to find out more about any of our services then call our friendly experienced helpline team on 01753 549865.