Domestic Abuse happens everywhere. It happens in our communities, albeit very often behind closed doors. In our local area last year, there were over 3000 police reports of domestic abuse. With only 30% coming to the attention of the police, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
How We Can Help
Our Community Team provide specialist advice and guidance to local people suffering any kind of abuse at the hands of a partner, ex partner or family member. Our Independent Domestic Violence Advocates (IDVAs) and Outreach workers are professionally trained to support families whatever their circumstances and work alongside them to find a pathway to safety.
'When I left my husband, I got call after call from the police, solicitors, social workers, the school. It was confusing and exhausting, I didn't understand my rights or options and sometimes it all felt too much. My IDVA was an ally, walking alongside me step by step through meetings, appointments and my court case. She had no agenda - it was all about me, my children and our safety'
Our IDVAs understand the complexities of abusive behaviour as well as the many systems and processes that victims of domestic abuse have to negotiate. They will develop a personal plan of support unique to the circumstances of each individual family which can include:
- Support through the Criminal Justice system
- Access to legal advice and support to obtain injunctions, legal orders and safe child contact arrangements
- Help with housing or making an existing home safe
- Access to counselling, emotional support or other health needs
- Advice around supporting children who have witnessed abuse, to include advocacy throughout social care processes
- Help with financial advice and debt management
- Advice on your rights, options and choices for the future
- Help to recognise risk, understand more about unhealthy relationships and recognise warning signs for future relationships
Our IDVA will keep in regular contact with you - they will help you if things become overwhelming, they can be your voice when you find it a challenge to be heard and they will help you move towards a safer future. You will not be judged, blamed or dismissed. We are here to help.
We understanding how challenging and anxious going to Court can be, so we now also have a Court IDVA who is able to support you through the whole process of Civil or Criminal Court proceedings.
If you are a professional and would like to make a referral for someone living within Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead or South Buckinghamshire, please complete the form below. Referrals will be processed and clients contacted within 48 hours.